As a small charity we rely upon donations from generous individuals, trusts and companies to support our work with children and young people across London.
Arts Award Network
Sound Connections has been working closely with A New Direction on helping raise the awareness of Arts Award amongst schools, music education organisations and music leaders and is leading on the development of a new Local Area Network in south west London. This is one of 10 new networks, supporting schools, organisations and practitioners in helping them find out more about the qualification and meet others delivering it in their area.
Arts Award aim to support young people to develop as artists and arts leaders. It aims to deepen their engagement with the arts, build creative and leadership skills, and to achieve a national qualification. Through Arts Award’s five levels, children and young people aged up to 25 can explore any art form including performing arts, visual arts, literature, media and multimedia. The award builds confidence, helps young people to enjoy cultural activities, and prepares them for further education or employment. Arts Award is managed by Trinity College London in association with Arts Council England working with 10 regional Bridge organisations. Since its launch in 2005, the award has grown quickly and is now flourishing in arts centres, colleges and schools, community projects, libraries, galleries, local authorities, theatres, youth clubs and youth justice settings. You can find out more about the qualification here, as well as the range of different ways in which A New Direction can help and support here.
Sound Connections is delivering two afternoons of networking, informative updates and practical support for those interested in supporting young people taking Arts Award. These free sessions are open to Arts Award Advisors, teachers, musicians and other artists working across south west London. If you are a newcomer to Arts Award please come along to find out more and get some advice and support.
During the sessions we will present all the latest information about Arts Award, looking at new and exciting ways of delivering the programme. You can also find out about the different qualifications, training and support and learn more about setting up partnerships and networks. There will be opportunities for discussion, sharing new ideas and best practice over tea, coffee and snacks.
We are delighted to be working with both Kingston and Wandsworth Music Education hubs for supporting and hosting these events and to funding from A New Direction in order to make these happen.
To book your free place click here.
Music Excellence London: Webinar - 'A practical guide to composing and arranging music for the KS3 classroom and school ensemble'
Thursday 27 April 2017
4.30pm - 5.30pm
Music Excellence London: TeachMeet - 'Building a department from the bottom-up: a musical vision'
Thursday 4 May 2017
5.00pm - 7.00pm
Samba Drumming and Body Percussion
Wednesday 24 May 2017
2.00pm - 5.00pm
What’s That Noise? - Encouraging child-initiated musicality with John Webb
Wednesday 21 June 2017
9.15am - 3.30pm
- Did you see the @SConnections newsletter this week? Exciting #Innovate2017 + workshop announcements. Read it here: https://t.co/JqrOJ77mAm,
- Experience hands on child-initiated music making with John Webb @KintorewayNS on 21 June #LEYMN #earlyyears… https://t.co/z1dLeVpoIZ,
- Next @MusicExLondon TeachMeet, May 4 'Building a dept from the bottom up: A musical vision' thanks @listermusicdept… https://t.co/66RHCEPzrn,
- Uniqueness of three orgs coming together on one project. @Seriouslive @lsostlukes Discovery and @hackneymusic Shari… https://t.co/Vo3riyQGEC,
- Chris Mackin from Ickburgh School - working w @hmdtmusic @lsostlukes @hackneymusic - just finished project for… https://t.co/amvFPJi8e5,
- "Take the risk to put young people in driving seat - they will always surprise you & create brilliant projects" #YouthVoice @hackneymusic,
- Great #YouthVoice presentation from Kenia, Takiyah, Caitlin @hackneymusic #YouthMusicForum. Young people must have… https://t.co/Qwc4oUbV0r,
- "Collaboration is vital defence to reduction of our provision as music educators. Think about schools,… https://t.co/s71tsbVMum,
- Great to be at this @hackneymusic event this evening. A brilliant network doing fantastic partnership work with sch… https://t.co/oGEqGvW3Eb,
- MT @sfhannan Gr8 to hear from a music coord @hackneymusic event that theirHT sees music key to curriculum & focus not just on maths/literacy,