As a small charity we rely upon donations from generous individuals, trusts and companies to support our work with children and young people across London.
EFDSS: Youth folk music activity mapping across England
As part of Arts Council England National Portfolio Organisation funding, the English Folk Dance and Song Society (EFDSS) is creating a national youth folk music ensemble aiming to raise the profile of folk music throughout England, and provide high quality musical experiences for young people.
As part of the preparatory work, EFDSS commissioned Sound Connections to conduct a two-stage consultation scoping and surveying the youth folk music education landscape.
- March 2014 – consultative discussions with members of the folk music and music education sectors to assess the feasibility and desirability of the ensemble.
- February-May 2015 – surveying and mapping existing and planned youth folk music activity across the country.
Presenting an enlightening overview of existing youth folk music activity, representing one third of local authorities, more than 60 organisations, and over 100 projects, the report for the second research phase can be found here.
The report from the first research phase, can be found on the EFDSS website education pages.
For further information about the national youth folk music ensemble, and the next steps of its development, please contact Sarah Jones: firstname.lastname@example.org
Photography © EFDSS: photographer Roswitha Chesher
Music Excellence London: Webinar - 'A practical guide to composing and arranging music for the KS3 classroom and school ensemble'
Thursday 27 April 2017
4.30pm - 5.30pm
Music Excellence London: TeachMeet - 'Building a department from the bottom-up: a musical vision'
Thursday 4 May 2017
5.00pm - 7.00pm
Samba Drumming and Body Percussion
Wednesday 24 May 2017
2.00pm - 5.00pm
What’s That Noise? - Encouraging child-initiated musicality with John Webb
Wednesday 21 June 2017
9.15am - 3.30pm
- Did you see the @SConnections newsletter this week? Exciting #Innovate2017 + workshop announcements. Read it here: https://t.co/JqrOJ77mAm,
- Experience hands on child-initiated music making with John Webb @KintorewayNS on 21 June #LEYMN #earlyyears… https://t.co/z1dLeVpoIZ,
- Next @MusicExLondon TeachMeet, May 4 'Building a dept from the bottom up: A musical vision' thanks @listermusicdept… https://t.co/66RHCEPzrn,
- Uniqueness of three orgs coming together on one project. @Seriouslive @lsostlukes Discovery and @hackneymusic Shari… https://t.co/Vo3riyQGEC,
- Chris Mackin from Ickburgh School - working w @hmdtmusic @lsostlukes @hackneymusic - just finished project for… https://t.co/amvFPJi8e5,
- "Take the risk to put young people in driving seat - they will always surprise you & create brilliant projects" #YouthVoice @hackneymusic,
- Great #YouthVoice presentation from Kenia, Takiyah, Caitlin @hackneymusic #YouthMusicForum. Young people must have… https://t.co/Qwc4oUbV0r,
- "Collaboration is vital defence to reduction of our provision as music educators. Think about schools,… https://t.co/s71tsbVMum,
- Great to be at this @hackneymusic event this evening. A brilliant network doing fantastic partnership work with sch… https://t.co/oGEqGvW3Eb,
- MT @sfhannan Gr8 to hear from a music coord @hackneymusic event that theirHT sees music key to curriculum & focus not just on maths/literacy,