As a small charity we rely upon donations from generous individuals, trusts and companies to support our work with children and young people across London.
Inspire Event – Principles of musical assessment
On Tuesday 25 November we welcomed Teach Through Music teachers and representatives from the wider music education community to our second in the series of Inspire Events on ‘Principles of musical assessment’ at the Paul Hamlyn Foundation, led by Professor Martin Fautley of Birmingham City University, and Dr Alison Daubney of the University of Sussex.
Our Teach Through Music teachers were treated to the expertise of these top music education academics on measuring and assessing progression particularly in Key Stage 3 music, and the challenges that this presents. Participants were encouraged to share their best units of KS3 work with their peers, and reflect on their practice in the classroom.
It was fantastic to hear teachers discussing what they value in a musical education, and their responses to quotes from an Ofsted representative about using levels and sublevels as assessment methods. You can follow all the discussion in a Storify made up of Tweets and photos here.
For those of you who were unable to make this event, you can watch a video recording of the session here. As this proved to be such a popular event, we are aiming to repeat this session in the summer term. Watch this space for the announcement of the date and venue!
Booking is open to all who work in music education for places on next year’s Teach Through Music Inspire Events, at the Southbank Centre, Barbican, and Royal Academy of Music. Spaces are moving fast, so book your free place now!
Music Excellence London: Webinar - 'A practical guide to composing and arranging music for the KS3 classroom and school ensemble'
Thursday 27 April 2017
4.30pm - 5.30pm
Music Excellence London: TeachMeet - 'Building a department from the bottom-up: a musical vision'
Thursday 4 May 2017
5.00pm - 7.00pm
Samba Drumming and Body Percussion
Wednesday 24 May 2017
2.00pm - 5.00pm
What’s That Noise? - Encouraging child-initiated musicality with John Webb
Wednesday 21 June 2017
9.15am - 3.30pm
- RT @MusicExLondon "Still time to sign up to @ISM_trust today's hosted webinar led by MEL Advocate Keir Crawley… https://t.co/wlQmAPhwSC,
- A great opp for #earlyyears practitioners - musical or not- to learn more about child initiated music making… https://t.co/E2EGLOwOPP,
- .@MusicExLondon #TeachMeet @listermusicdept, 4 May 2017. #KS3 music teachers - sign up to FREE webinar tomorrow too… https://t.co/nS7uuUlHwy,
- Proud to be a member of a great organisation like @LondonYouth who share our core values. Check out their website:… https://t.co/I0PvgMdWce,
- Do you work in #earlyyears? Join us + #LEYMN member/animateur John Webb @KintorewayNS for this child-led masterclas… https://t.co/DwVmtuaHgH,
- This #bankholiday - join #CCMN members @Every1sCtree for a wonderful of music, arts, workshops, food and more… https://t.co/RCRkNuFviJ,
- Delighted to be welcoming the newest member of the @SConnections team today - Great to have you on board… https://t.co/a3i1WUAFPv,
- RT @MusicExLondon "Sign up to @ISM_trust hosted webinar led by MEL Advocate Keir Crawley https://t.co/KLU5XDvDzj …" https://t.co/e88PPxqs74,
- Brand new Early Childhood Music course, validated by @TrinityC_L and led by fantastic #earlyyears #musiced educator… https://t.co/s4SirC7QOd,
- Did you see the @SConnections newsletter this week? Exciting #Innovate2017 + workshop announcements. Read it here: https://t.co/JqrOJ77mAm,