As a small charity we rely upon donations from generous individuals, trusts and companies to support our work with children and young people across London.
Wired4Music reaching out: harnessing the power of youth voice in mental health settings
Mental Health Awareness Week
In 2014, Sound Connections associate artist, Gawain Hewitt, was commissioned to research youth voice in challenging settings. The brief was to scope potential barriers to participation in Wired4Music for young people in challenging circumstances. In celebration of Mental Health Awareness Week, we’re delighted to share findings from interviews Gawain conducted with music and mental health organisation Key Changes and a young mental health service user. Whilst the interviews were conducted with Wired4Music accessibility in mind, we hope the findings provide useful insight for anyone working with young people suffering from mental health illness in participatory activity.
Wired4Music – our music council for young Londoners – is a collective of music-minded young people who advocate and campaign for the musical future they want to see. Wired4Music is open access and aims to be a truly representative voice of London’s young people. With this in mind, we’ve committed to scoping accessibility and appropriateness of Wired4Music activity for young people with particular needs.
Previous Sound Connections research into opening access has included a commission to Drake Music, who scoped accessibility at Wired4Music council meetings and online. This next stage of research aimed to further strengthen Wired4Music’s engagement with young people in challenging circumstances and connect with new participant groups.
Music Excellence London: Webinar - 'A practical guide to composing and arranging music for the KS3 classroom and school ensemble'
Thursday 27 April 2017
4.30pm - 5.30pm
Music Excellence London: TeachMeet - 'Building a department from the bottom-up: a musical vision'
Thursday 4 May 2017
5.00pm - 7.00pm
Samba Drumming and Body Percussion
Wednesday 24 May 2017
2.00pm - 5.00pm
What’s That Noise? - Encouraging child-initiated musicality with John Webb
Wednesday 21 June 2017
9.15am - 3.30pm
- Did you see the @SConnections newsletter this week? Exciting #Innovate2017 + workshop announcements. Read it here: https://t.co/JqrOJ77mAm,
- Experience hands on child-initiated music making with John Webb @KintorewayNS on 21 June #LEYMN #earlyyears… https://t.co/z1dLeVpoIZ,
- Next @MusicExLondon TeachMeet, May 4 'Building a dept from the bottom up: A musical vision' thanks @listermusicdept… https://t.co/66RHCEPzrn,
- Uniqueness of three orgs coming together on one project. @Seriouslive @lsostlukes Discovery and @hackneymusic Shari… https://t.co/Vo3riyQGEC,
- Chris Mackin from Ickburgh School - working w @hmdtmusic @lsostlukes @hackneymusic - just finished project for… https://t.co/amvFPJi8e5,
- "Take the risk to put young people in driving seat - they will always surprise you & create brilliant projects" #YouthVoice @hackneymusic,
- Great #YouthVoice presentation from Kenia, Takiyah, Caitlin @hackneymusic #YouthMusicForum. Young people must have… https://t.co/Qwc4oUbV0r,
- "Collaboration is vital defence to reduction of our provision as music educators. Think about schools,… https://t.co/s71tsbVMum,
- Great to be at this @hackneymusic event this evening. A brilliant network doing fantastic partnership work with sch… https://t.co/oGEqGvW3Eb,
- MT @sfhannan Gr8 to hear from a music coord @hackneymusic event that theirHT sees music key to curriculum & focus not just on maths/literacy,