As a small charity we rely upon donations from generous individuals, trusts and companies to support our work with children and young people across London.
Musicians’ Union Professional Development Weekend
Sound Connections was out in full force at the Musicians’ Union Professional Development Weekend which took place at the Laban Centre and was skilfully hosted by Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance. The weekend brought together a range of musicians, all interested in teaching, who were able to take part in a wide variety of workshops, debates and advice sessions. Philip Flood, Sound Connections’ Director, took part in a panel discussion on musical progression routes for young people and shared Taking Off: our recently launch microsite highlighting the work of over 60 organisations working with young people with challenging circumstances in London. Other presenters included Rachel Nelken, talking about how both ArtsTrain and Roundhouse support young people and Oliver Morris from UK Music outlining their new careers advice opportunities. Philip Flood also stepped in at the last moment to contribute to a panel discussion on partnerships in music education, the role of Music Education Hubs, and how best to support musicians and teachers.
On the Saturday Jennifer Raven, Programme Manager, gave a series of one-to-one professional development sessions for delegates who were interested in finding out more about community music and working with young people in challenging circumstances. There were also surgeries with Musicians’ Union, Trinity Laban and Arts Council England. If you would be interested in receiving a one-to-one DNA session with Sound Connections then please get in touch with Samuel Scott to organise a time to come in.
Music Excellence London: Webinar - 'A practical guide to composing and arranging music for the KS3 classroom and school ensemble'
Thursday 27 April 2017
4.30pm - 5.30pm
Music Excellence London: TeachMeet - 'Building a department from the bottom-up: a musical vision'
Thursday 4 May 2017
5.00pm - 7.00pm
Samba Drumming and Body Percussion
Wednesday 24 May 2017
2.00pm - 5.00pm
What’s That Noise? - Encouraging child-initiated musicality with John Webb
Wednesday 21 June 2017
9.15am - 3.30pm
- Did you see the @SConnections newsletter this week? Exciting #Innovate2017 + workshop announcements. Read it here: https://t.co/JqrOJ77mAm,
- Experience hands on child-initiated music making with John Webb @KintorewayNS on 21 June #LEYMN #earlyyears… https://t.co/z1dLeVpoIZ,
- Next @MusicExLondon TeachMeet, May 4 'Building a dept from the bottom up: A musical vision' thanks @listermusicdept… https://t.co/66RHCEPzrn,
- Uniqueness of three orgs coming together on one project. @Seriouslive @lsostlukes Discovery and @hackneymusic Shari… https://t.co/Vo3riyQGEC,
- Chris Mackin from Ickburgh School - working w @hmdtmusic @lsostlukes @hackneymusic - just finished project for… https://t.co/amvFPJi8e5,
- "Take the risk to put young people in driving seat - they will always surprise you & create brilliant projects" #YouthVoice @hackneymusic,
- Great #YouthVoice presentation from Kenia, Takiyah, Caitlin @hackneymusic #YouthMusicForum. Young people must have… https://t.co/Qwc4oUbV0r,
- "Collaboration is vital defence to reduction of our provision as music educators. Think about schools,… https://t.co/s71tsbVMum,
- Great to be at this @hackneymusic event this evening. A brilliant network doing fantastic partnership work with sch… https://t.co/oGEqGvW3Eb,
- MT @sfhannan Gr8 to hear from a music coord @hackneymusic event that theirHT sees music key to curriculum & focus not just on maths/literacy,