As a small charity we rely upon donations from generous individuals, trusts and companies to support our work with children and young people across London.
New Sound Connections projects kick off the autumn term!
A range of Innovate and Reaching Out projects are launching this term, working with children and young people in challenging circumstances across London’s ‘cold spot’ areas.
These will include Musicus Guitar Band, a group music-making session in partnership with the Dalgarno Trust and Peabody Estates. This innovative approach to band-building has been developed by musical entrepreneur, Tom Halpenny who devised the system whilst working in the New York school system. We also see the return of the Cable Street Voices project in Tower Hamlets, returning for a second term of exciting participatory singing and in Brent musician Phil Hogg ran a summer school for young people with special education needs and their siblings. Meanwhile, The British DJ & MC Academy have been touring schools and estates in Enfield with their mobile DJing experience. We’ll also be rolling out the project to Haringey, based around Northumberland Park in Tottenham.
In the run-up to our October seminar, our work with children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities has been going from strength to strength. July saw the successful completion of Kimnara Music’s H.BAM project which empowered a group of young people with SEND to build their own band culminating in a fantastic performance at Huddlestone Centre, Hackney.
More projects – ranging from early years music-making to experimental under-water music therapy – are in the pipeline including in Bromley, Croydon, Ealing, Brent & North Hammersmith and Barking & Dagenham so watch this space!
Innovate and Reaching Out projects are made possible through funding from The National Foundation for Youth Music’s Musical Inclusion programme.
Music Excellence London: Webinar - 'A practical guide to composing and arranging music for the KS3 classroom and school ensemble'
Thursday 27 April 2017
4.30pm - 5.30pm
Music Excellence London: TeachMeet - 'Building a department from the bottom-up: a musical vision'
Thursday 4 May 2017
5.00pm - 7.00pm
Samba Drumming and Body Percussion
Wednesday 24 May 2017
2.00pm - 5.00pm
What’s That Noise? - Encouraging child-initiated musicality with John Webb
Wednesday 21 June 2017
9.15am - 3.30pm
- Did you see the @SConnections newsletter this week? Exciting #Innovate2017 + workshop announcements. Read it here: https://t.co/JqrOJ77mAm,
- Experience hands on child-initiated music making with John Webb @KintorewayNS on 21 June #LEYMN #earlyyears… https://t.co/z1dLeVpoIZ,
- Next @MusicExLondon TeachMeet, May 4 'Building a dept from the bottom up: A musical vision' thanks @listermusicdept… https://t.co/66RHCEPzrn,
- Uniqueness of three orgs coming together on one project. @Seriouslive @lsostlukes Discovery and @hackneymusic Shari… https://t.co/Vo3riyQGEC,
- Chris Mackin from Ickburgh School - working w @hmdtmusic @lsostlukes @hackneymusic - just finished project for… https://t.co/amvFPJi8e5,
- "Take the risk to put young people in driving seat - they will always surprise you & create brilliant projects" #YouthVoice @hackneymusic,
- Great #YouthVoice presentation from Kenia, Takiyah, Caitlin @hackneymusic #YouthMusicForum. Young people must have… https://t.co/Qwc4oUbV0r,
- "Collaboration is vital defence to reduction of our provision as music educators. Think about schools,… https://t.co/s71tsbVMum,
- Great to be at this @hackneymusic event this evening. A brilliant network doing fantastic partnership work with sch… https://t.co/oGEqGvW3Eb,
- MT @sfhannan Gr8 to hear from a music coord @hackneymusic event that theirHT sees music key to curriculum & focus not just on maths/literacy,