As a small charity we rely upon donations from generous individuals, trusts and companies to support our work with children and young people across London.
Peer Learning Scheme: applications for guest learners now open!
Sound Connections is looking for London-based individuals to take part in a peer learning placement (lasting no longer than one day) at a project or activity for young people facing challenging circumstances.
The Peer Learning Scheme is a development of a pilot ‘work shadowing’ scheme Sound Connections ran for its Challenging Circumstances Music Network (CCMN) members in spring 2015. Four music leaders took the opportunity to experience a day in the life of a CCMN organisation. Thanks to funding from Youth Music we are delighted to be able to develop the scheme, opening it to more organisations and practitioners, during 2015-2016. We are redefining it as ‘peer learning’ to emphasise that this is an opportunity for people of all levels of career experience – equally beneficial to those starting out in their music leading career; experienced teachers and practitioners interested in moving into work in challenging settings; or those with years of experience in the challenging circumstances field keen to gain new ideas and perspectives. This reflects Sound Connections’ commitment to delivering high-quality Continuing Professional Development (CPD) for the music education workforce.
The potential benefits of being a guest learner are:
- Gaining insight into a new challenging setting.
- Experiencing and learning from a different leader/organisation, and their approach, and inspiring new ideas/activities to take into your own practice.
- Developing new relationships and networks, and potentially building your pool of contacts.
Guest learners in the pilot work shadowing scheme reported the following benefits:
“These techniques [learnt on the placement] will translate easily and very effectively into the workshops I already run.”
“[The placement] encouraged me back into my direct practice as I have had a break due to illness. I found it enjoyable to be in the atmosphere and it renewed my interest in the younger age group as I have been away from it for a while.”
Find out more about the Peer Learning Scheme and the current placements on offer by downloading the application forms below:
NB: Some of the placements are due to begin in October half term – read the application form for further details.
If you have any further questions about the Peer Learning Scheme, please contact Zoë on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Music Excellence London: Webinar - 'A practical guide to composing and arranging music for the KS3 classroom and school ensemble'
Thursday 27 April 2017
4.30pm - 5.30pm
Music Excellence London: TeachMeet - 'Building a department from the bottom-up: a musical vision'
Thursday 4 May 2017
5.00pm - 7.00pm
Samba Drumming and Body Percussion
Wednesday 24 May 2017
2.00pm - 5.00pm
What’s That Noise? - Encouraging child-initiated musicality with John Webb
Wednesday 21 June 2017
9.15am - 3.30pm
- Did you see the @SConnections newsletter this week? Exciting #Innovate2017 + workshop announcements. Read it here: https://t.co/JqrOJ77mAm,
- Experience hands on child-initiated music making with John Webb @KintorewayNS on 21 June #LEYMN #earlyyears… https://t.co/z1dLeVpoIZ,
- Next @MusicExLondon TeachMeet, May 4 'Building a dept from the bottom up: A musical vision' thanks @listermusicdept… https://t.co/66RHCEPzrn,
- Uniqueness of three orgs coming together on one project. @Seriouslive @lsostlukes Discovery and @hackneymusic Shari… https://t.co/Vo3riyQGEC,
- Chris Mackin from Ickburgh School - working w @hmdtmusic @lsostlukes @hackneymusic - just finished project for… https://t.co/amvFPJi8e5,
- "Take the risk to put young people in driving seat - they will always surprise you & create brilliant projects" #YouthVoice @hackneymusic,
- Great #YouthVoice presentation from Kenia, Takiyah, Caitlin @hackneymusic #YouthMusicForum. Young people must have… https://t.co/Qwc4oUbV0r,
- "Collaboration is vital defence to reduction of our provision as music educators. Think about schools,… https://t.co/s71tsbVMum,
- Great to be at this @hackneymusic event this evening. A brilliant network doing fantastic partnership work with sch… https://t.co/oGEqGvW3Eb,
- MT @sfhannan Gr8 to hear from a music coord @hackneymusic event that theirHT sees music key to curriculum & focus not just on maths/literacy,