As a small charity we rely upon donations from generous individuals, trusts and companies to support our work with children and young people across London.
Sound Connections Challenging Circumstances Music Network, celebrating Refugee Week
The Sound Connections Challenging Circumstances Music Network (CCMN) brings together a wide range of practitioners and organisations who are experts in the field of challenging circumstances and inclusion in London. The network exists to strengthen inclusion practice and provision in London, through a training programme, action research and advocacy. If you’d like to be connected to the network, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
A number of CCMN members have a particular focus on music-making with refugees and asylum seekers. Soundmix and Fairbeats contributed to the next in our series of research into youth voice in challenging settings, which you can read here. The case study, researched and written by CCMN associate artist Gawain Hewitt, explores how to make a youth forum such as Wired4Music accessible to young refugees and asylum seekers. You can read the previous report in the series (looking at youth voice in a mental health context) here.
CCMN also recently commissioned Music in Detention to look at inclusivity in Hillingdon, through an evaluative report about an exchange project between Harmondsworth Immigration Removal Centre and young people at Hayes YMCA. We look forward to sharing the findings in our next newsletter.
In the meantime, we’d like to wish those of you working with refugees and asylum seekers across London a very happy Refugee Week! Please share your celebrations and events with us @sconnections #refugeeweek
Music Excellence London: Webinar - 'A practical guide to composing and arranging music for the KS3 classroom and school ensemble'
Thursday 27 April 2017
4.30pm - 5.30pm
Music Excellence London: TeachMeet - 'Building a department from the bottom-up: a musical vision'
Thursday 4 May 2017
5.00pm - 7.00pm
Samba Drumming and Body Percussion
Wednesday 24 May 2017
2.00pm - 5.00pm
What’s That Noise? - Encouraging child-initiated musicality with John Webb
Wednesday 21 June 2017
9.15am - 3.30pm
- Did you see the @SConnections newsletter this week? Exciting #Innovate2017 + workshop announcements. Read it here: https://t.co/JqrOJ77mAm,
- Experience hands on child-initiated music making with John Webb @KintorewayNS on 21 June #LEYMN #earlyyears… https://t.co/z1dLeVpoIZ,
- Next @MusicExLondon TeachMeet, May 4 'Building a dept from the bottom up: A musical vision' thanks @listermusicdept… https://t.co/66RHCEPzrn,
- Uniqueness of three orgs coming together on one project. @Seriouslive @lsostlukes Discovery and @hackneymusic Shari… https://t.co/Vo3riyQGEC,
- Chris Mackin from Ickburgh School - working w @hmdtmusic @lsostlukes @hackneymusic - just finished project for… https://t.co/amvFPJi8e5,
- "Take the risk to put young people in driving seat - they will always surprise you & create brilliant projects" #YouthVoice @hackneymusic,
- Great #YouthVoice presentation from Kenia, Takiyah, Caitlin @hackneymusic #YouthMusicForum. Young people must have… https://t.co/Qwc4oUbV0r,
- "Collaboration is vital defence to reduction of our provision as music educators. Think about schools,… https://t.co/s71tsbVMum,
- Great to be at this @hackneymusic event this evening. A brilliant network doing fantastic partnership work with sch… https://t.co/oGEqGvW3Eb,
- MT @sfhannan Gr8 to hear from a music coord @hackneymusic event that theirHT sees music key to curriculum & focus not just on maths/literacy,