As a small charity we rely upon donations from generous individuals, trusts and companies to support our work with children and young people across London.
Sound Connections joins the Music Venues Alliance: “Championing the Grassroots”
Sound Connections is delighted to be one of the founding members of the new Music Venues Alliance, an association of venues and organisations that have united behind the work of the Music Venues Trust to engage with the industry, the cultural sector, and politicians to take actions that protect, secure and improve the UK’s music venue network. In addition, Philip Flood, Director, has also been asked to join the Mayor of London’s Taskforce on Live Music, specifically supporting advising on young people and their music progression routes.
Emerging from Venues Day 2014, the Music Venues Alliance is the first significant response to the recent ICMP summary report “Understanding Small Venues”, available here, which painted a picture of a UK live music venue circuit that is in a perilous and precarious state, facing an uncertain future at real risk despite the passion of the people involved in it.
Members of the Alliance have united behind the work of the Music Venue Trust to enable the Charity to speak up on their behalf, discussing and airing those challenges with live music industry colleagues and the cultural sector, and seeking ways to work together to tackle a range of issues so we not only maintain and preserve this circuit but actively start to improve it.
On behalf of the Music Venues Alliance, Music Venue Trust has already been invited to be part of the UK Live Music Group and to play a lead role in the Mayor of London’s Taskforce on Live Music. The Trust has taken up issues raised at Venues Day with PRS, and is working with MPs to identify tax and investment opportunities that will directly improve the venues through a series of projects. The Trust will be making a major announcement about the future of the grassroots circuit at the International Live Music Conference in London on Friday 6 March, and will follow this with the launch of their full report on “Understanding Small Venues” in Parliament on Monday 9 March.
Over 80 venues are already represented within the Alliance, alongside live music agencies, campaign groups, and cultural organisations. Membership is open to any UK venue that wishes to join the campaign, and the Alliance welcomes applications from industry bodies and professional organisations that want to add their voices to support this vital part of the sector. You can contact the Alliance at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Music Excellence London: Webinar - 'A practical guide to composing and arranging music for the KS3 classroom and school ensemble'
Thursday 27 April 2017
4.30pm - 5.30pm
Music Excellence London: TeachMeet - 'Building a department from the bottom-up: a musical vision'
Thursday 4 May 2017
5.00pm - 7.00pm
Samba Drumming and Body Percussion
Wednesday 24 May 2017
2.00pm - 5.00pm
What’s That Noise? - Encouraging child-initiated musicality with John Webb
Wednesday 21 June 2017
9.15am - 3.30pm
- Did you see the @SConnections newsletter this week? Exciting #Innovate2017 + workshop announcements. Read it here: https://t.co/JqrOJ77mAm,
- Experience hands on child-initiated music making with John Webb @KintorewayNS on 21 June #LEYMN #earlyyears… https://t.co/z1dLeVpoIZ,
- Next @MusicExLondon TeachMeet, May 4 'Building a dept from the bottom up: A musical vision' thanks @listermusicdept… https://t.co/66RHCEPzrn,
- Uniqueness of three orgs coming together on one project. @Seriouslive @lsostlukes Discovery and @hackneymusic Shari… https://t.co/Vo3riyQGEC,
- Chris Mackin from Ickburgh School - working w @hmdtmusic @lsostlukes @hackneymusic - just finished project for… https://t.co/amvFPJi8e5,
- "Take the risk to put young people in driving seat - they will always surprise you & create brilliant projects" #YouthVoice @hackneymusic,
- Great #YouthVoice presentation from Kenia, Takiyah, Caitlin @hackneymusic #YouthMusicForum. Young people must have… https://t.co/Qwc4oUbV0r,
- "Collaboration is vital defence to reduction of our provision as music educators. Think about schools,… https://t.co/s71tsbVMum,
- Great to be at this @hackneymusic event this evening. A brilliant network doing fantastic partnership work with sch… https://t.co/oGEqGvW3Eb,
- MT @sfhannan Gr8 to hear from a music coord @hackneymusic event that theirHT sees music key to curriculum & focus not just on maths/literacy,