As a small charity we rely upon donations from generous individuals, trusts and companies to support our work with children and young people across London.
Taking Off: a networked approach to musical progression in London
Sound Connections has been awarded funding from Youth Music to explore and develop work around progression routes for young people in challenging circumstances. This work will link with our Challenging Circumstances Music Network. It was through the CCMN that an action research piece by Fairbeats! – soon to be published on the Sound Connections website – first looked at this subject and provided the building blocks for our proposal for the progression work.
‘Taking Off’ will take a networked approach to explore and promote musical pathways which are meaningful, personalised and diverse for children and young people in challenging settings. Through this work, we hope to strengthen links between diverse grass-roots music organisations and high-profile musical destinations.
We are delighted that Fairbeats! have come on board to work on the initial phase of ‘Taking Off’ with us, and will be lending their expertise in the field of music-making in challenging settings. The first stage of the project, Departures, will see Fairbeats! and Sound Connections undertaking initial mapping, scoping and gathering of key partners and their work in this area. This initial mapping will lead to Journeys – a number of group-based action research exploring specific journeys on the map in order to drill down into the specific conditions, barriers, behaviours and qualities that lead to outstanding provision of progression pathways. The final stage of the project, Destinations, will culminate in a high-profile interactive seminar to present findings of the mapping and action research. This will include engaging presentations from special guests and sharing of other progression-focused research, models and practice.
We endeavour to work closely with the members of the Challenging Circumstances Music Network at every stage to create a working group approach which will support the project.
Watch this space for exciting further developments!
Music Excellence London: Webinar - 'A practical guide to composing and arranging music for the KS3 classroom and school ensemble'
Thursday 27 April 2017
4.30pm - 5.30pm
Music Excellence London: TeachMeet - 'Building a department from the bottom-up: a musical vision'
Thursday 4 May 2017
5.00pm - 7.00pm
Samba Drumming and Body Percussion
Wednesday 24 May 2017
2.00pm - 5.00pm
What’s That Noise? - Encouraging child-initiated musicality with John Webb
Wednesday 21 June 2017
9.15am - 3.30pm
- RT @MusicExLondon "Still time to sign up to @ISM_trust today's hosted webinar led by MEL Advocate Keir Crawley… https://t.co/wlQmAPhwSC,
- A great opp for #earlyyears practitioners - musical or not- to learn more about child initiated music making… https://t.co/E2EGLOwOPP,
- .@MusicExLondon #TeachMeet @listermusicdept, 4 May 2017. #KS3 music teachers - sign up to FREE webinar tomorrow too… https://t.co/nS7uuUlHwy,
- Proud to be a member of a great organisation like @LondonYouth who share our core values. Check out their website:… https://t.co/I0PvgMdWce,
- Do you work in #earlyyears? Join us + #LEYMN member/animateur John Webb @KintorewayNS for this child-led masterclas… https://t.co/DwVmtuaHgH,
- This #bankholiday - join #CCMN members @Every1sCtree for a wonderful of music, arts, workshops, food and more… https://t.co/RCRkNuFviJ,
- Delighted to be welcoming the newest member of the @SConnections team today - Great to have you on board… https://t.co/a3i1WUAFPv,
- RT @MusicExLondon "Sign up to @ISM_trust hosted webinar led by MEL Advocate Keir Crawley https://t.co/KLU5XDvDzj …" https://t.co/e88PPxqs74,
- Brand new Early Childhood Music course, validated by @TrinityC_L and led by fantastic #earlyyears #musiced educator… https://t.co/s4SirC7QOd,
- Did you see the @SConnections newsletter this week? Exciting #Innovate2017 + workshop announcements. Read it here: https://t.co/JqrOJ77mAm,