As a small charity we rely upon donations from generous individuals, trusts and companies to support our work with children and young people across London.
Teach Through Music Final Conference – Friday 10 July 2015
Friday 10 July saw the culmination of the Teach Through Music programme – a year of professional development, inspiration and support for London’s Key Stage 3 music teachers, funded by the Department for Education and the Mayor of London. Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance hosted a jam-packed day that celebrated all the achievements of the teachers enrolled on the programme through the series of Inspire Events and Short Courses held throughout the year. Secondary school music teachers, freelance music educators, academics and cultural organisations all came together to share research findings, connect with the pan-London community of practice established over the year, and – most importantly – make music.
The day was divided into different kinds of activity:
Keynote speech: François Matarasso – writer, researcher and speaker.
Beyond Inspire – reflections on the five Inspire Events held over the course of the year:
- Preparing all pupils for Key Stage 4? City Hall, Wednesday 12 November 2014
- Principles of musical assessment, Paul Hamlyn Foundation, 25 November 2014
- London’s cultural offer, Southbank Centre, 2 February 2015
- Making the case for music in schools, Barbican, 18 March 2015
- Raising musical standards for all at Key Stage 3, Royal Academy of Music, 13 May 2015
Case Study Focus – reflections on the Short Courses running throughout the year:
- Listen, Imagine, Compose, Judith Robinson
- Whose Music is it Anyway? Craig Coggle
- Making Music in the Moment, Jackie Walduck
- Ensembles Uncovered, Paul Griffiths and Peter Romhany
Creative Leader sessions:
- Reeps One, UK Champion beatboxer and recording artist, and collaborator Linden Jay
- Guillermo Rozenthuler, Buenos Aires-born vocalist and guitarist, who has developed a singing improvisation technique called Circlesinging
Movement for musicians sessions:
- Yoga with Shamita Ray, Laban
- Alexander Technique with Alun Thomas, Laban
…as well as a host of talks, presentations and networking opportunities! The day drew to a close with some live jazz provided by Trinity Laban musicians, and celebratory cool drinks on the canal side.
Many thanks to all those who attended and helped make the event such a huge success! You can find a Storify summary made up of Tweets and photos here to re-live the day. Watch this space for resources and materials from our presenters.
Music Excellence London: Webinar - 'A practical guide to composing and arranging music for the KS3 classroom and school ensemble'
Thursday 27 April 2017
4.30pm - 5.30pm
Music Excellence London: TeachMeet - 'Building a department from the bottom-up: a musical vision'
Thursday 4 May 2017
5.00pm - 7.00pm
Samba Drumming and Body Percussion
Wednesday 24 May 2017
2.00pm - 5.00pm
What’s That Noise? - Encouraging child-initiated musicality with John Webb
Wednesday 21 June 2017
9.15am - 3.30pm
- Did you see the @SConnections newsletter this week? Exciting #Innovate2017 + workshop announcements. Read it here: https://t.co/JqrOJ77mAm,
- Experience hands on child-initiated music making with John Webb @KintorewayNS on 21 June #LEYMN #earlyyears… https://t.co/z1dLeVpoIZ,
- Next @MusicExLondon TeachMeet, May 4 'Building a dept from the bottom up: A musical vision' thanks @listermusicdept… https://t.co/66RHCEPzrn,
- Uniqueness of three orgs coming together on one project. @Seriouslive @lsostlukes Discovery and @hackneymusic Shari… https://t.co/Vo3riyQGEC,
- Chris Mackin from Ickburgh School - working w @hmdtmusic @lsostlukes @hackneymusic - just finished project for… https://t.co/amvFPJi8e5,
- "Take the risk to put young people in driving seat - they will always surprise you & create brilliant projects" #YouthVoice @hackneymusic,
- Great #YouthVoice presentation from Kenia, Takiyah, Caitlin @hackneymusic #YouthMusicForum. Young people must have… https://t.co/Qwc4oUbV0r,
- "Collaboration is vital defence to reduction of our provision as music educators. Think about schools,… https://t.co/s71tsbVMum,
- Great to be at this @hackneymusic event this evening. A brilliant network doing fantastic partnership work with sch… https://t.co/oGEqGvW3Eb,
- MT @sfhannan Gr8 to hear from a music coord @hackneymusic event that theirHT sees music key to curriculum & focus not just on maths/literacy,