As a small charity we rely upon donations from generous individuals, trusts and companies to support our work with children and young people across London.
Teach Through Music Inspire Event and Short Courses
Last Wednesday the series of Inspire Events for Teach Through Music kicked off with a session focussing on ‘Preparing all pupils for Key Stage 4’.
Curated by Karen Brock, head of THAMES, the session grappled the thorny issue of the transition between KS3 and KS4, explored alternative musical progression routes after KS3 and heard the perspectives of four pupils from Harris Academy Greenwich and Stoke Newington School on taking GCSE or BTEC music.
Featuring a provocative address from Teach Through Music Programme Supervisor Keith Evans on ‘Does Music at KS3 prepare students for GCSE and other pathways at KS4?’ there were many ideas up for discussion and presented by Teach Through Music Fellows Steven Berryman, Emily Boxer and Julie Stanning, and Head of Music at Stoke Newington School Owen Bourne.
To read a Storify summary of the event made up of tweets and photos, click here.
Two more Short Courses began this week as part of the programme. Whose Music is it Anyway? – a course focussing on self-directed learning led by Rob Wells and Craig Coggle from Forest Hill Boys School, and Voice Works: Getting Everyone Singing – a vocal course focussing on the importance of creating a singing culture in KS3 led by Jane Wheeler for Sound Connections.
If you are enrolled on the programme and have not yet signed up to a Short Course, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Music Excellence London: Webinar - 'A practical guide to composing and arranging music for the KS3 classroom and school ensemble'
Thursday 27 April 2017
4.30pm - 5.30pm
Music Excellence London: TeachMeet - 'Building a department from the bottom-up: a musical vision'
Thursday 4 May 2017
5.00pm - 7.00pm
Samba Drumming and Body Percussion
Wednesday 24 May 2017
2.00pm - 5.00pm
What’s That Noise? - Encouraging child-initiated musicality with John Webb
Wednesday 21 June 2017
9.15am - 3.30pm
- Did you see the @SConnections newsletter this week? Exciting #Innovate2017 + workshop announcements. Read it here: https://t.co/JqrOJ77mAm,
- Experience hands on child-initiated music making with John Webb @KintorewayNS on 21 June #LEYMN #earlyyears… https://t.co/z1dLeVpoIZ,
- Next @MusicExLondon TeachMeet, May 4 'Building a dept from the bottom up: A musical vision' thanks @listermusicdept… https://t.co/66RHCEPzrn,
- Uniqueness of three orgs coming together on one project. @Seriouslive @lsostlukes Discovery and @hackneymusic Shari… https://t.co/Vo3riyQGEC,
- Chris Mackin from Ickburgh School - working w @hmdtmusic @lsostlukes @hackneymusic - just finished project for… https://t.co/amvFPJi8e5,
- "Take the risk to put young people in driving seat - they will always surprise you & create brilliant projects" #YouthVoice @hackneymusic,
- Great #YouthVoice presentation from Kenia, Takiyah, Caitlin @hackneymusic #YouthMusicForum. Young people must have… https://t.co/Qwc4oUbV0r,
- "Collaboration is vital defence to reduction of our provision as music educators. Think about schools,… https://t.co/s71tsbVMum,
- Great to be at this @hackneymusic event this evening. A brilliant network doing fantastic partnership work with sch… https://t.co/oGEqGvW3Eb,
- MT @sfhannan Gr8 to hear from a music coord @hackneymusic event that theirHT sees music key to curriculum & focus not just on maths/literacy,