As a small charity we rely upon donations from generous individuals, trusts and companies to support our work with children and young people across London.
We’re an Artsmark Supporter!
Sound Connections were very fortunate earlier this year, with funding from Arts Council England, to become an Artsmark Supporter. We are one of number of projects, working with Arts Council England and the local Bridge organisations (in our case A New Direction), to explore how we could support schools and cultural organisations better understand the new Artsmark scheme.
Recently relaunched, and more importantly now designed by teachers, the new Artsmark award helps schools to deliver a high quality arts and cultural education and provides a tangible way to demonstrate this. In addition, Artsmark schools gain access to resources as well as networks of cultural organisations, helping them develop and strengthen their arts provision. Sound Connections was therefore ideally placed, with its already strong links with schools and cultural organisations across London, to take on this role and look specifically at how Music Education Hubs and music organisations could support schools on their Artsmark journey.
We are currently working with Islington Council, in partnership with the Dame Alice Owen Foundation and Arts First (the music education hub lead organisation for Islington), on helping them develop a new music education strategy for the borough. As part of that we want to explore how schools and music organisations are working together in terms of committing to the new Artsmark offer. A questionnaire has recently gone out to anyone that work with children and young people through music with specific questions on Artsmark. Islington is a culturally rich borough with a huge range of music and arts organisations delivering work to children and young people and we are keen to look at how this work can link with Artsmark. Over the coming months we will be identifying good practice and sharing this not only with schools and music organisations across Islington but more widely. We are also working closely with A New Direction, the Bridge organisation for London, on ensuring that our findings are disseminated as widely as possible. If you would like to find out more about the Islington music education strategy consultation or how we could support your work then please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Music Excellence London: Webinar - 'A practical guide to composing and arranging music for the KS3 classroom and school ensemble'
Thursday 27 April 2017
4.30pm - 5.30pm
Music Excellence London: TeachMeet - 'Building a department from the bottom-up: a musical vision'
Thursday 4 May 2017
5.00pm - 7.00pm
Samba Drumming and Body Percussion
Wednesday 24 May 2017
2.00pm - 5.00pm
What’s That Noise? - Encouraging child-initiated musicality with John Webb
Wednesday 21 June 2017
9.15am - 3.30pm
- Did you see the @SConnections newsletter this week? Exciting #Innovate2017 + workshop announcements. Read it here: https://t.co/JqrOJ77mAm,
- Experience hands on child-initiated music making with John Webb @KintorewayNS on 21 June #LEYMN #earlyyears… https://t.co/z1dLeVpoIZ,
- Next @MusicExLondon TeachMeet, May 4 'Building a dept from the bottom up: A musical vision' thanks @listermusicdept… https://t.co/66RHCEPzrn,
- Uniqueness of three orgs coming together on one project. @Seriouslive @lsostlukes Discovery and @hackneymusic Shari… https://t.co/Vo3riyQGEC,
- Chris Mackin from Ickburgh School - working w @hmdtmusic @lsostlukes @hackneymusic - just finished project for… https://t.co/amvFPJi8e5,
- "Take the risk to put young people in driving seat - they will always surprise you & create brilliant projects" #YouthVoice @hackneymusic,
- Great #YouthVoice presentation from Kenia, Takiyah, Caitlin @hackneymusic #YouthMusicForum. Young people must have… https://t.co/Qwc4oUbV0r,
- "Collaboration is vital defence to reduction of our provision as music educators. Think about schools,… https://t.co/s71tsbVMum,
- Great to be at this @hackneymusic event this evening. A brilliant network doing fantastic partnership work with sch… https://t.co/oGEqGvW3Eb,
- MT @sfhannan Gr8 to hear from a music coord @hackneymusic event that theirHT sees music key to curriculum & focus not just on maths/literacy,