- Read our latest Early Years e-newsletter (April 2016)
- Our role in supporting Sounds of Intent in the Early Years
- Read the LEYMN Evidence Review: How music making activity affects young children
- Read Vanessa King's case study on the use of live music in neo natal wards
- Read LEYMN member Sue Nicholls' 'Musical Activities in Development Matters'
- Read a report from Nicola Burke and Trish Power on Enabling Musical Environments
- Read our action research on music and movement
- Watch our film "What's That Noise? Recognising and supporting young children's musicality"
- Watch a fabulous trio of short “How To…” films by Sue Nicholls, making percussion instruments from everyday household objects
- Watch our film "Playing Together: encouraging family music-making with very young children"
- Read our introduction to approaches in early childhood music
Early years music making is a key strand of Sound Connections work
In 2010 we launched the London Early Years Music Network (LEYMN) for experienced music leaders working with very young children which aims to:
- encourage sharing of best practice, resources and information within the sector
- be a safe place to debate key issues referred from Network members and Sound Connections staff (e.g. pedagogic approach, quality of music, role of franchises, children’s musical development etc)
- be the first port of call for anyone looking for information on Early Years Music Making in London
- keep abreast of other Early Years music networks’ activities regionally and nationally
- advise and be a critical friend to Sound Connections on its Early Years Music strategy (training, tenders and project delivery)
- offer CPD opportunities to experienced music leaders
LEYMN was started with a group of around fifteen experts meeting every term to offer debate and shape activity. We are now seeking to develop a wider associated membership of musicians, early years practitioners, music organisations, families and indeed anyone with an interest in making music with the under-5s in London.
In 2015 we launched our second LEYMN Apprentice Programme, following the success of the first Apprentices in 2014 who undertook a year of training, mentoring and job shadowing. Click on the link below to meet our 10 Apprentices.
To become a LEYMN member, please sign up to our free e-newsletter highlighting current sector news, national and regional issues affecting early years music, resources and topical debate. You will also have access to training opportunities, seminars, conferences and networking events – all with an early years music focus. Click here to sign up >
Play Date: 'Sharing Good Practice - Bop with a Prop!’
Tuesday 28 June 2016
5.00pm - 8.00pm
An Introduction to Circlesinging
Wednesday 29 June 2016
2.00pm - 5.00pm
Tuesday 19 July 2016
10.00am - 1.00pm
Would Like To Meet... Summer 2016
Wednesday 20 July 2016
6.00pm - 9.00pm
Tuesday 11 October 2016
10.00am - 1.00pm
Catalysing Change: Sound Connections Challenging Circumstances Music Network Conference
Tuesday 29 November 2016
10.00am - 3.30pm